The word chakra refers to wheel as the body into this posture resembles a wheel by its shape, this posture is also named as Urdva dhanurasana , where Urdva means upword and dhanurasana is bow pose, in Hatha yoga tradition posture is called Chakrasana and in Ashtanga vinyasa tradition the same posture is called Urdva dhanurasana.
Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose Step by step instructions:
There are two ways to perform this position either standing position Where you can raise your hands up and arch back so deep that your hands reach the floor or you start from lying down position supine position.
- We shall talk about the lying down method that can be followed by anyone who wishes to practice chakrasana
- Start from supine position where you lie down on the back.
- Bend your knees keeping your feet hip width apart and place your palms over your shoulder finger pointing towards the shoulders and elbows facing to the ceiling.
- Now inhale lift your hip first off, the floor as in bridge pose and press on hands to lift your chest and head off too while arching the back in backbend posture.
- Your feet and hands will be the foundation of the posture.
- To deepen the posture try straightening the legs and bring your feet together.
Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose Precautions and safety:
- People with lower back pain should avoid this posture or practice other modification as bridge pose or Cobra Pose would be a good alternative.
- In case of wrist injury, it can make it worse wear some wrist gloves or better do other position.
- If someone has neck pain or injury make sure neck is not bent rather kept straight in the line of spine and focused on chest opening.
- Chakrasana is commonly blamed for lower back compression, make sure your intention is to bend back from upper back and keep the abdominal muscles engaged to avoid lower back compression.
Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose Benefits:
- Chakrasana is strengthening for arms legs and spine.
- It expands chest region and helps improve breathing and increases lung capacity.
- People specially practice this pose for spinal flexibility.
- It strengthens quadriceps, gluteus, spine extensor and deltoid muscles.
- It stretches quadriceps, iliopsoas, abdominal muscles and latissimus dorsi and pectorals.
- It helps reduce belly and thighs fat.
- Improves circulation towards head therefore leads to
- Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand Pose or Salamba Sarvangasana : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Dhanurasana or Bow Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions, Precautions and safety.
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) : How to do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction, Precautions and Safety
- Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose : How to Do It, Steps by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precaution?
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose : How to Do It, Step by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precautions.
- Vajrasana, Thunderbolt Pose, or Diamond Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction & Precautions.
- What are 12 Mantras of Surya Namaskar?
- What are 12 Poses of Surya Namaskar?
- How to Do Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations? – Its Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions.
- What is Virabhadrasana Warrior Pose 2? – How To Do IT, Benefits, Method & Precautions.
- Bakasana (Crow Pose) : How to Do It, Step by Step (Method), Benefits & Precautions.
- What is Trikonasana or Utthita Trikonasana or Extended Triangle Pose? – How to Do It, Benefits, Step-by-Step Instruction and Precautions
- Chandrabhedi (Chandrabhedana) or Left Nostril Breathing : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Bhramari Pranayama or Bee-Breathing Technique : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Ujjayi Breathing): How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Yoga for Breathing or Pranayama: Which Yoga is Best for Breathing Problem?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- What is Pranayama? Different Types of Pranayama
- Bhastrika Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Why I Do Yoga?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama – Benefits, How to Do It, and Precautions.
- What is Paschimottanasana? Its Benefits, Step-by-Step Instructions, Common Mistakes & Precautions
- Boost Your Immunity with these Ayurvedic Herbs