The word bhujang means to the king of snakes(cobra) , the position of the body in this position imitates the shape of cobra hence it is called Bhujangasana. Bhujangasana is a beginner backbend posture and a wonderful pose to strengthen the axis of body spine that is most vital for the overall strength and stability of body.
How to Do Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose? Its Step by step Instruction:
- Start from a lying down position on belly(prone position)
- Place your palm flat next to chest while the elbows are facing slightly back and upward.
- While you start inhalation, press on the palms and raise the chest as high as it is comfortable for lower back and basic focus should be to open up the chest region.
- At the end lift the chin forward and upward .
- Look towards the sky ceiling or third eye.
Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose Precautions and Safety:
- Do not force the neck to bend too far backward rather lift the chin forward and upward.
- Begin with lifting chest then press palms gently to support the lift, instead of pressing all the way from palms it could lead to lower back compression.
- Push the chest forward and upward instead of back and down.
- If one has lower back pain should try without using hands or lift slightly off the floor, if it still hurts this posture should be avoided.
- Shoulders should be tried to kept away from ear to avoid neck compression.
- People with neck pain should keep the chin neutral.
- To avoid lower back pain one should pull the navel in to engage core.
Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose Benefits:
- Strengthens the spine.
- Stretches chest and lungs, shoulders, and abdomen.
- Tones the buttocks.
- Stimulates abdominal organs and helps with better absorption and defecation.
- Helps relieve stress , fatigue and compression from spine.
- Opens the heart and lungs and stimulates them for better functioning will lead to lung capacity improvement and emotional release.
- Helps with sciatica.
- Therapeutic for asthma and breathing related issues.
- Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand Pose or Salamba Sarvangasana : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Dhanurasana or Bow Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions, Precautions and safety.
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) : How to do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction, Precautions and Safety
- Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose : How to Do It, Steps by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precaution?
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose : How to Do It, Step by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precautions.
- Vajrasana, Thunderbolt Pose, or Diamond Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction & Precautions.
- What are 12 Mantras of Surya Namaskar?
- What are 12 Poses of Surya Namaskar?
- How to Do Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations? – Its Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions.
- What is Virabhadrasana Warrior Pose 2? – How To Do IT, Benefits, Method & Precautions.
- Bakasana (Crow Pose) : How to Do It, Step by Step (Method), Benefits & Precautions.
- What is Trikonasana or Utthita Trikonasana or Extended Triangle Pose? – How to Do It, Benefits, Step-by-Step Instruction and Precautions
- Chandrabhedi (Chandrabhedana) or Left Nostril Breathing : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Bhramari Pranayama or Bee-Breathing Technique : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Ujjayi Breathing): How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Yoga for Breathing or Pranayama: Which Yoga is Best for Breathing Problem?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- What is Pranayama? Different Types of Pranayama