The word ‘salabh’ means locust which is a flower, we move our body in a position that represents a flower locust hence the pose is known as Salabhasana . Salabhasana is a posture which can be done by beginners and advance practitioner both by adjusting its intensity as per practitioner, advance version of Salabhasana is called as Purna Salabhasana.
Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose Step by Step Instructions:
- Start from from lying down on abdomen (prone position)
- Keep the legs together and hands in front over head hands shoulder with apart.
- Inhale raise your hands and legs up as much as you can and look forward.
- Hold this position for 5 to 10 breath and try to calm down the breath.
- To perform Purna Salabhasana staying in lying down position on belly keep your arms under the thighs
- Press onto palms and raise your legs all the way up then bend you knees downword so your toes come towards your head.
Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose Safety precautions:
- Beginners should start their journey to purna Salabhasana from easy version of Salabhasana , so they don’t hurt their spine.
- People with lower back pain may have to avoid this pose in some case or do it gently.
- Make sure you keep your navel pulled in to avoid lower back compression and keep space in between lower back vertebrae.
- Pregnant women must avoid it as it puts immense pressure on abdominal region.
Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose Benefits:
- Salabhasana is one of the best poses to practice for spine strengthening, specially it strengthens spine extensor muscles.
- It reduces the tension from thighs , abdomen and chest region and promotes flexibility.
- Stimulation of abdominal organ helps in aiding digestion and other vital processes into body.
- Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand Pose or Salamba Sarvangasana : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Dhanurasana or Bow Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions, Precautions and safety.
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) : How to do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction, Precautions and Safety
- Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose : How to Do It, Steps by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precaution?
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose : How to Do It, Step by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precautions.
- Vajrasana, Thunderbolt Pose, or Diamond Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction & Precautions.
- What are 12 Mantras of Surya Namaskar?
- What are 12 Poses of Surya Namaskar?
- How to Do Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations? – Its Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions.
- What is Virabhadrasana Warrior Pose 2? – How To Do IT, Benefits, Method & Precautions.
- Bakasana (Crow Pose) : How to Do It, Step by Step (Method), Benefits & Precautions.
- What is Trikonasana or Utthita Trikonasana or Extended Triangle Pose? – How to Do It, Benefits, Step-by-Step Instruction and Precautions
- Chandrabhedi (Chandrabhedana) or Left Nostril Breathing : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Bhramari Pranayama or Bee-Breathing Technique : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Ujjayi Breathing): How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Yoga for Breathing or Pranayama: Which Yoga is Best for Breathing Problem?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- What is Pranayama? Different Types of Pranayama