What is Dhanurasana or Bow Pose?
The word dhanush means bow and therefore the pose is named Dhanurasana where body resembles bow in shape, where front body is stretched and posture gives heart opening and lungs expanding sensation.
Dhanurasana or Bow Pose Step by step instructions
- Start from lying down position on belly calls prone position of the body.
- Bend the knees take the hands backwards and grab the ankles from outside or inside whichever feels comfortable and strong.
- While inhaling raise your chest and head off the floor while you are pressing your ankles against hands as if you are straightening the knees but resisting from the hands.
- Try keeping feet and knees together and hold the position for as long as you can.
Dhanurasana or Bow Pose Safety and precaution
- If you have lower back pain, like slip disc perhaps avoid it or modify it to avoid pain.
- Some people may feel knee hurting on outer part of it, in this case knees and feet can be separated and pulled out.
- Be careful when taking weight on shoulder better grab ankles from outside so shoulders could feel much safer and stable.
- This should be avoided during pregnancy.
- Do not try to bend backward rather focus on chest expansion and ankles pressing on hands.
- People with hyper or hypotension should avoid or do this posture very gently.
- Neck shouldn’t be forced to push back rather held in neutral position if it is hurt.
Dhanurasana or Bow Pose Benefits
- Dhanurasana is one of the best poses to get rid of belly and thighs fat.
- It helps stretch quadriceps, psaos(muscles of front thigh and hip)and abdominal muscles.
- Strengthening of back is one of the advantages of doing this pose.
- Improves organ function by stimulating abdominal organ.
- Sarvangasana or Shoulder Stand Pose or Salamba Sarvangasana : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Dhanurasana or Bow Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step By Step Instructions & Precaution
- Chakrasana or Urdhva Dhanurasana or Wheel Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions, Precautions and safety.
- Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend) : How to do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction, Precautions and Safety
- Salabhasana, Shalabhasana, Locust pose, or Grasshopper Pose : How to Do It, Steps by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precaution?
- Bhujangasana or Cobra Pose : How to Do It, Step by Step Instruction, Benefits & Precautions.
- Vajrasana, Thunderbolt Pose, or Diamond Pose : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instruction & Precautions.
- What are 12 Mantras of Surya Namaskar?
- What are 12 Poses of Surya Namaskar?
- How to Do Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutations? – Its Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions.
- What is Virabhadrasana Warrior Pose 2? – How To Do IT, Benefits, Method & Precautions.
- Bakasana (Crow Pose) : How to Do It, Step by Step (Method), Benefits & Precautions.
- What is Trikonasana or Utthita Trikonasana or Extended Triangle Pose? – How to Do It, Benefits, Step-by-Step Instruction and Precautions
- Chandrabhedi (Chandrabhedana) or Left Nostril Breathing : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Bhramari Pranayama or Bee-Breathing Technique : How to Do It, Benefits, Step by Step Instructions & Precautions
- Ujjayi Pranayama (Ujjayi Breathing): How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Yoga for Breathing or Pranayama: Which Yoga is Best for Breathing Problem?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- What is Pranayama? Different Types of Pranayama
- Bhastrika Pranayama: How to Do It, Steps and Benefits
- Why I Do Yoga?
- Kapalbhati Pranayama – Benefits, How to Do It, and Precautions.
- What is Paschimottanasana? Its Benefits, Step-by-Step Instructions, Common Mistakes & Precautions
- Boost Your Immunity with these Ayurvedic Herbs