The name “Chakrasana” comes from the Sanskrit words “Chakra” which means the wheel, and the meaning of Asana is “Posture” or “seat”.
Chakrasana or the wheel pose is a backward bending yoga asana. Chakra in Sanskrit means Wheel. In Wheel Pose, the final position looks like a wheel, hence the name. It gives great flexibility to the spine. It is called chakrasana since the body takes almost a wheel-like, semi- circular posture while performing this asana.
English name: – Wheel Pose
Sanskrit name: – Chakrasana
Pose type: – backbend, stretch, inversion, balance.
Body position: – Supine
Level: – Advanced
Another name: – Urdva Dhanurasana (Upward-Facing Bow Pose).
How to Do Chakrasana
- Lie down on your back with feet apart, bend your knees and place your feet on the ground close to your body.
- Now bring your palms under your shoulders such that the fingers point towards the shoulders and the elbows are shoulder-width apart.
- Inhale and press your palms firmly into the
- Lift your shoulders and elbow firmly into the floor
- Your Feet should be pressed firmly into the
- Inhale and lift your hips
- The spine should be rolled up so that it may seem to resemble a semi-circular arch or
- Straighten out your arms and legs as much as possible so that the hips and chest may be pushed
- Hold this pose for at least 15-30
- To go back to original, bend your elbows to lower your head and shoulders to the
- Then bend your knees and bring your spine and hips back to the ground and relax.
- Chakrasana strengthens the liver, pancreas, and
- Excellent for the
- Good for infertility, asthma, and
- Wheel Pose Strengthens arms, shoulders, hands, wrists, and
- Stretches the chest and lungs
- Strengthens the arms and wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen, and spine
- Stimulates the thyroid and pituitary glands.
- Increases energy and counteracts
- Do not try this Yoga Pose in case of a back injury.
- If you are suffering from heart problems, then don’t try
- A headache, Diarrhoea, and carpal tunnel
- High or low blood pressure.
- Do not perform this if suffering from any cardiac or spinal problems.
- Avoid if suffering from a hernia.
- Yoga Teacher Certification Courses in Rishikesh, India
- Importance of Alignment and Adjustment in Yoga
- What is Mudra in Yoga? – How to Do It, Benefits, Importance & Types
- Yoga Philosophy and Its Importance in Daily Life
- Yoga for Strength: Gym isn’t the only place for strength
- Importance of Balance in Yoga
- How does Sattvic Food Help in Yoga?
- Yog Nidra : The Enlightened Sleep
- Ashtanga Yoga
- Yoga for Pregnancy
- Yoga Meditation: Its importance in our daily life
- Mayurasana – How to do it and its benefits
- Back Bend Yoga asanas – Fear of falling into the unknown
- International Yoga Day
- Yoga for Your Upper Back Tightness