Surya Namaskar is a practice of 12 graceful postures in a sequence which is performed to express our gratitude towards the source of energy(sun) to get our own system fine-tune with the nature and allowing our body to become heated to work against disease and make ourselves feel livelier and more rejuvenated. In Ashtanga vinyasa tradition as per K.Patabhi jois we must start our yoga practice with sun salutation so we can make our body eligible to move smooth and in flow.
In this blog we shall learn about Ashtanga vinyasa Sun salutation A
Surya Namaskar Benefits
Sun salutation is one of the best ways to exercise the physical body and calm down the mind, it boosts energy, increase heat that allows all diseases to disappear, sun salutation is a way to rejuvenate the whole body, it is a wonderful mix of strengthening and flexibility exercises, it strengthens arms, legs and spine most importantly and also stretches thighs muscles and makes our spine mobilize. Sun salutation can be a cure and firstly a prevention to several ailments such as obesity, low blood pressure (hypotension),arthritis,joint pain , and can reduce the blood sugar level and so on.
Surya Namaskar Precautions
- Surya Namaskar is wonderful set of practice which could lead to many possibilities to a person in terms of health and spirituality even and to help one be in touch with nature of one’s own existence, but done incorrectly could lead to problems like injuries, and can disturb some bodily function if not done knowing some precautions
- People suffering from Blood Pressure or Heart problems should make sure they do it with as much ease as possible and better practice under the guidance of a teacher.
- People who have had surgery. (Only after consultation with the doctor)
- Those having hernia should be more careful about how they feel while practicing
- People having any kind of problem in spine should make sure the practice doesn’t make it worse rather do more of a self assessment while practice.
- People should avoid imitating others position, one must try to do the way his body responds to it.
What are Poses of Surya Namaskar A?
- Urdva vriksasan
- Ardha utanasan
- Chaturanga dandasan
- Urdva mukha svanasan
- Adho mukha svanasan
- Ardha Utanasan
How to Do Surya Namaskar? Step by Step Instructions
- Stand in samasthiti
- Ekam raise your both hands up,join your palm look at your thumb urdva vriksasan
- Dve Exhale bend down from hip, place your palms flat by your feet and touch forehead on shin bone Utanasan
- Trini Inhale lean and push on the palms and lift your head forward Ardha Utanasan
- Chatwari Exhale step or jump back in high plank and lower down for chaturanga dandasan
- Pancha Inhale push on your palms and lift your chest and chin up urdva mukha svanasana
- Shath Exhale push on your palms looking at your navel lift your hips back and up flipping your feet flat on the mat adho mukha svanasana
- Hold for 5 breaths
- Sapta Now lean on your hands look forward and jump or step both feet together between your palms and raise your head up in ardha Utanasan
- Ashto Exhale bow your head down on shin bones in Utanasan
- Nava Inhale stand up and raise your hands up over head joining your palms in urdva vriksasan
- Exhale samasthiti