What is Nadi Shodhana Pranayama ?
Nadi is called pulse and Shodhana means cleaning. Thus, this pranayama is being done since ancient times to clean the Nadis. It is said that Indian sages used to practice such yogic practices to keep themselves healthy. In simple words, Nadi Shodhana Pranayama is called Alternate Nostril Breathing Exercise, in which one has to breathe through one nostril, hold the breath, and then exhale through another.
The Nadis in the human body are subtle energy channels. NadiShodhan Pranayama is a process of breathing that helps to cleanse these energy systems and operate smoothly and thus calm the mind. Some yogis also refer Nadi Shodhana Pranayama as Anulom Vilom Pranayama.
How to do NadiShodhan pranayama?
- Sit relaxed with a gentle smile on your face. Keep your shoulder loose and spine straight.
- Place the left hand on your left knee. Your palm should be open towards the sky or in a chin pose.
- Put your middle and index finger between eyebrows. Also, keep your thumb on the right side of the nostril and little finger and ring finger on the left nostril. For opening and closing of the left nostril, ring finger and little finger will be used. Also, for the right nostril, the process is done by the thumb.
- By pressing your right nostril by the thumb, exhale through the left nostril.
- After breathing through the left side, press your left portion of the nostril gently with a little and index finger.
- Now exhale from the right side by releasing the thumb from the right side.
- Breathe in from the right side and exhale from the left nostril. Now you have completed the first round of Pranayama.
- In the same manner, breathe through alternative nostrils.
Benefits of Nadishodhan Pranayama
- It makes the digestive system strong.
- NadishodhanPranayama is very beneficial for relieving anxiety and stress of the mind.
- High blood pressure/ Hypertension is also overcome by Nadishodan
- Nadishodan Pranayama is helpful in reducing weight.
- Blockage in the heart is removed by this asana.
- Complaints of migraine pain are also relieved.
- This pranayama is beneficial in removing constipation or acidity.
- NadishodanPranayama is very beneficial for asthma patients.
- Many types of allergies are also overcome by this asana.