“Titali” means “Butterfly” and “Asana” means “Posture”. This asana is also called as “Baddha Konasana”. In English name is “Butterfly Pose”.
Position : Sitting
Type : Hip opener
Spiritual Awareness : Mooldhara
Physical Awareness : Hips, hamstrings, spine, and lower back
Dosha Suitability : Vata
Introducery Asanas : Dandasan
- Sit straight with your legs spread wide in front of you.
- Bend the legs at the knees and place your feet together and hold your feet with your hands.
- Pull them as close to your body as you can so that feel the stretch.
- Move your knees up and down as high and low as you can.
- Continue breathing normally and continue flapping the knees.
Follow-up Asanas: Mandukasan
- The butterfly pose is good for the spine and lower back as well as your hip joints.
- It strengths the muscles of your hips and legs and makes your hamstrings more flexible.
- The Butterfly Pose helps to open up the hips and genital areas and is very good for pregnant women with frequent sciatic pain.
- This posture is also beneficial to the kidneys, bladder, prostate gland, and ovaries.
- It relieves any pain associated with sciatica.
- Relieves pain associated with menstruation.
- Beneficial for women after menopause.
- Regular practice of this pose helps easing the pain associated with natural childbirth.
Precautions and Contraindications:
If one is suffering from spinal injury or experiences pain or discomfort in the knees and hips while performing the posture, please perform only with the advice of the physician.